This week, Pres. Rogers, our Bishop (Pastor), directed the activity. Unbeknownst to most of us, he was a boxer back in the day. For this activity, he had set up eight stations of workouts that a boxer would do. There was jump rope, heavy bag, cone jumping, shadow boxing, punch Bob, and a few others I don't know how to describe. The youth were instructed to do the activity for one minute then a whistle would sound and they would have 15 seconds to rest. One more minute and then rotate to the next station. Eight stations, two minutes at each, twice through. Needless to say they were beat. As one of the leaders, I really didn't get to go through all of them. I was in charge of jump rope, encourage them to keep at it. So I did get a lot of jumping in.
After everyone went through twice we all guzzled water and sat around Pres. Rogers as he gave an incredible sh-peal on boxing. His younger brother was a 3 time World Amateur Boxing Champ. He then applied boxing to life. How there are those that only workout and try while the coach is looking, those that go and workout and do their best at the gym, and those that go the extra mile. Which are we? So many great insights that just about make you want to start boxing, or at least take on the world. It was insightful and inspiring. A great quote I had not heard before was said, "A true winner will not allow the possibility of losing enter her mind."Afterward, he passed out T-shirts that he had had made for us. I can't believe the awesomeness of our Bishop. He does so much!! The activity was a blast and I think the youth really enjoyed it. Shoot, I was talking to one girl later who said she was going to take up boxing because she enjoyed it ALL so much. And she just got her brace off her knee from surgery, too.

Wow! I've never thought much of boxing, but it is neat that he inspired everyone so much. Awesome bishop.
ReplyDelete