Oct 1, 2011

Working with Metal

So since Hunny and I are both in the Youth Programs in our church now, we get to go to some activities together. The most recent and pretty exciting one was making tin Nativity Scenes. The young men and young women met at a Brother's house for the activity. He had most of the supplies and know how and showed us how to powder and set up the rubber molds, pour in the hot liquid metal, and then, after cooled, separate the newly formed statue from the mold. It was fun getting to walk through the whole process of making the little sheep and wise men, and a little baby Jesus and manger for him to lay in.


I was surprised at how heavy the liquid tin was as I picked up a ladle full to pour in the mold. At one point a some tin splattered onto the floor because a mold was not sealed all the way and when the liquid metal hit the floor it spattered and dried instantly creating bunches of little tin droplets; it was pretty cool. They were just swept up and dropped back in the pan to be remelted. Sometimes, especially in the sheep mold, the tin would not get into all the little canals and channels in the mold and the figure would be deformed or would be missing a leg or cane or something. Those ones would just find their way back to the hot pan of liquid tin too.

After the figurines came out of the mold the excess tin was cut off them with a grinder and the figure was then ready to be painted. I thought they looked really cool without painting them, so I am not sure if Hunny and I are going to paint our set. It was a fun activity. Unfortunately, I think more of the adult leaders were interested in it than the youth.


2 comments:

  1. Nifty! So, now you have a Nativity Set? ...I started one earlier this year and totally forgot about it, thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete